Sunday, October 7, 2012

The Land of the Rising Sun

This week was my week of vacation, and it was great! I did a whole lot this week. I think it was partly due to the fact that there were a lot of outside forces causing me to do things. Nothing like having friends pull you around to different places. I'm definitely not complaining though. I probably would've sat home and did nothing otherwise.

On Monday, I went to the zoo (which I wrote about in last week's blog). On Tuesday, I met up with my Korean friends from college. We played billiards, bowling, and ended it all with an hour at the karaoke room. That still has to be one of my favorite things to do here. I did something on Wednesday, but honestly, I can't really remember what I did. I remember playing soccer with Koreans at night, but the rest of the day is a blur. Thursday was my rest and recharge day. I don't think I did anything all day except watch the presidential debate. That's probably about the only thing I've done to keep in touch with what's happening in America. From a pure debate standpoint, I thought they both were fairly week in their arguments. Both left out what I thought to be vital details to their arguments, but then again, I guess their main goal isn't winning the argument. Smile for the camera!!! I really felt bad for the moderator though. How anyone could interrupt that nice man from the PBS channel is beyond me. If they were in Asia, they would get smacked around for a cultural blunder of that magnitude.

On Friday, I went to Japan. This, I definitely wouldn't have even thought of attempting unless it was all laid out beforehand by someone who knew what they were doing. (I really hate going somewhere without everything planned out. If I don't know exactly what I'm going to do and how I'm going to get there, it's just a little too stressful to be a vacation). Luckily, we had a Japanese guy show us around. I went with my coworker, and it was his friend. During the trip, I became more and more thankful that I chose Korea to come and teach in. Don't get me wrong. I really enjoyed Japan, but it was just missing some things.

Let me start by saying that Japanese food is bar none better than 99.99% of all other foods in the world. However, it's super expensive. The average price I paid for a bowl of ramen was about 900 Yen. (Look up the exchange rate if you're really curious.) No one can hold a match to Korean public transportation. Japanese subways are run by private companies which translates to high prices and general confusion when it comes to navigating around: tons of transfers and a general confusion of where you are. In Korea, you would have to blind and deaf to get lost on their subway. It's very user friendly. I also felt a great contrast within the Japanese culture. Their pop culture is very "cute." Their music focuses on a more pre-adolescent version of fun: almost carefree. However, the people are a totally different story. They are stone faced! In Korea, the people don't show much emotion when they are just walking around, but once they stop, they are super emotional. Even after the day was done and on the weekend, the Japanese were flat faced about everything. I think their pop music is a reflection of what they wish they could be like, but are restricted from becoming because of their culture set in tradition. There is a certain pride to these Asian countries. It is much different in America. These countries have histories dating back thousands of years, and they are very proud of them. To deviate from traditions dating back thousands of years is like disowning your country.

Japan was super beautiful though. It was really peaceful and quiet. The people keep to themselves and you can just sit and enjoy the numerous views. I can now see why this country is so closed off to the Gospel. Part of it rests in the strict tradition that is enforced on the people. The other is the culture in which they live. There is not good way to confront somebody about something. For example, going up to someone and pointing out sin would be considered one of the rudest things you could do. Idol worship is super prevalent there. There were shrines and little Buddha or Shinto idols everywhere with people praying to them. It really makes me sad to see how darkened they are. Only God can break into that country.

On the first day in Japan, we went to an awesome aquarium! I don't know if I even remember ever having gone to an aquarium before. On Saturday, we went to Kyoto, a traditional Japanese city. Apparently, (around 500 years ago) it used to be the capital before Tokyo.  We spent this morning (Sunday) visiting various shops and markets. Check facebook for more pictures and videos. I took tons!


9 comments:

  1. I would agree that the arguments were "week." Even though responses were supposed to be around 2 minutes in length, it seemed like they took a "week." Great perspective from a foreign land :-)
    And you were at the Shedd Aquarium when you were little - you went with G&G Lee and the rest of your immediate family.
    Glad you had fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a spelling mistake. "Sew" me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Joe - Just curious.... I'm looking at taking one more big trip to get a bunch of miles to make sure I get to the status next year that I want with United..... :) So - do you have any time off in November or December? Are you coming home for the holidays? I was looking at flights to Seoul and they're actually pretty reasonable..... Let me know! Email me or respond on the blog and I'll check in....
    Auntie A

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooo - by the way - if we're playing the "correct Joe" game.....
    So, apparently in Korea you have to blind and deaf to get lost on the trains - but what about grammatically incorrect? Would you get lost on a train then?
    And yes, perhaps I just might "sew" you!
    But - if you maybe let me come to see you, I'd be very very sweet - but I would not blind and deaf so I would be able to maybe find my way to get Krispy Kremes for you..... :) Which, by the way - did you get a Krispy Kreme in Japan (presuming you were in Tokyo)? I'm sure if you did, you went right for the green tea ones!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Unfortunately, I have no time off in November or December. My contract finishes on November 27th, and I'm planning on coming back for a few weeks. I still have the mornings free though. I don't have to be to work until 1:30, so I would still have time to show you around... even to the Krispy Kreme that's a 15 minute walk from my apartment! I'd be happy to show you around, and I'm sure they'd let you sit in on a class or 2 if you're interested.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How far are you from Seoul? Thats the airport I'm looking at flying into and the dates I'm looking at are really quick - the day after Thanksgiving, getting in on Sat and then leaving on Tuesday evening.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gimpo or Incheon? I'm about 40 minutes south of Seoul. You should know me well enough that I don't plan my schedule out that far, so it's all free as of now. Hurry up though, or else I just won't have any time for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm actually probably headed Bangkok way :( I'm gonna play santa for my friends there and just visit for 2 days.... Maybe next year I'll buzz over to Korea though as I hear you're doing a return visit to the land of ,,, what is Korea the land of?....

    ReplyDelete