Monday, October 1, 2012

Happy Chuseok!

Sorry I didn't write this yesterday. I was pretty busy, and I went to the zoo today, so I figured it might be more interesting for you if I just waited. I have this week off because of Chuseok! It's a Korean holiday that basically is the Korean version of Thanksgiving. I heard a rumor today that it's actually a holiday where they worship their ancestors... I'm not so sure about this, but I plan on running it by my Korean informants and seeing what they dig up. Either way, it results in a week off!

This week, I was training the 2 new teachers that we got. They have been pretty good so far. 99.99% of their actions at work are very professional, which makes my job a ton easier. They definitely have a long way to go, but I know that they'll get there quickly if they keep up the effort. God has also given me a lot of favor in my boss's eyes. She seems to really like me now, and it's more than just her. Many different people are helping me out when it comes to my preparations for next year. Obviously, I know some of this is so that I think of them better when I decide who to sign my contract with, but it still feels pretty good. I was trying to teach my students the difference between can and should. So I asked the question, "Can I punch you right now?" to which they responded, "NO!" I then explained, "Well, yes I CAN punch you, but I shouldn't." Right when I said, "I CAN punch you" I looked around only to see my boss's head sticking through the door. She asked me to step outside for a minute. (It's about this time that I was wondering how much a plane ticket costs.) She just gave me a $30 gift card to Korea's equivalent of a Jewel Osco and wished me a happy Chuseok.

So, I have a new landmark in my life that I'm pretty sure none of you have ever done (nor will ever do). I played through the entire set of 'Apples to Apples' with some friends after church on Sunday. The box reads, "Play time: 30 minutes" Try 3.5 hours! We told that box what's what. My face hurt afterwards from all of the laughing. Despite the philosophy that losing isn't fun, I still had a great time.


I also went to the zoo today. It has been a really long time since I've been there. It was a lot of fun. I saw a lot of animals that I don't ever remember seeing in real life before. I saw an armadillo, rhinos, 2-toed sloths, and a pre-pubescent monkey doing something to his toy that only post-pubescent monkeys should do. All in all, it was a great experience. I pretty much feel like I start most of my days like this sloth. I wake up and quickly realize, "Why am I up this early?" I then proceed to do absolutely nothing in the mornings. I pass time by lying in different positions on my bed and hoping each new one will bring me closer to the comfort of sleep.

I took this picture of my students this week. The girl on the right is wearing a hanbok. (han-boke) It's the traditional Korean dress that both the men and the women wear. Not many people wear them anymore except for special occasions. Obviously, this week was Chuseok week, so the traditional stuff comes out. I had to bribe her with a lot of participation points, but she eventually consented to me taking a picture.


1 comment:

  1. So was the monkey "Jazzercising"? :) I hope you haven't eaten any puppies yet - its not too late -- once you get the taste of one, they say you never go back, you know.... We don't want you coming home looking at our puppies like they're Christmas dinner :(
    Glad you're doing well. Hopefully we'll see you at Christmas (where we eat turkey - not puppy...)
    Happy Chuseok!

    ReplyDelete