Sunday, November 10, 2013

A Degrading Cycle of Destruction

Honestly not much to write about this week. Life has been normal if not just a little bit more busy than normal. As my Korean improves, my English degrades. As my English degrades, I am constantly at a loss of words. As I'm constantly at a loss for words, I begin resorting to speaking like a 5 year old. As I begin to speak like a 5 year old, I realize that life becomes much more simple. As life becomes much more simple, I realize that it actually isn't, and so I resort to thinking about things as a 5 year old. And the cycle repeats. Or the circle... Or the big round thing...

This coming week, I will be the MC for a 'play contest' that my school is doing. Each class has to write a play and perform it for my level (level 3). My co-mc has graciously not done much and left a lot of the script writing to me. It involves writing an introduction for each play, and then a few other random interview questions. There are a total of 21 classes in level 3 which means introducing 21 plays. Anytime you feel like bursting into tears while reading this and thinking of the horrible plight I've been put in, feel free. I will even take condolences in the form of lighting candles or even holding a moment of silence. Honestly though, it hasn't been that bad. Truth be told, I would rather do it myself. It takes less time not having to bounce ideas off of someone else. I've also gotten quite a bit better at typing with a Korean keyboard. I do still have trouble when I'm typing Korean because when I think of the 'm' sound, my finger moves towards the 'm' key. However, the 'm' sound in Korean is actually where the 'a' key is. It begins to mess with your mind when you start switching back and forth.

I'm really beginning to miss the lack of instruments that I can play here: none. Thankfully, there's an actually piano at the church I go to, and they are more than happy to let me use it after the service. I've been a bit occupied these past few weeks, but I definitely plan on using it a lot in the future. I'm also really considering bringing my guitar back to Korea with me when I go home. I'm sure my neighbors won't really appreciate it, but hey, what's life in a paper-thin walled apartment if not interesting.

Occasionally, I keep you up to date on the music scene here in Korea. Anytime there's a super popular song, I try to include it in my blog post. Just in case, like 'Gangnam Style', a song becomes popular in the States, you heard it from me first. This particular song has been playing for about 3 months now, and it is rare to walk down the street and not hear this song playing at least from every other store front. This particular band is fairly new to the music scene. Minus the hair coloring, what they are wearing is pretty much the current suave style in Korea right now for the 20s age group... minus the tank top and the bow-tie. Tank top suits have a better chance of coming in style than bow-ties. Interesting plug: one of the band members is actually Chinese and graduated from the language program that I am a part of now. Who knows, today it's his turn. Next year, I'll be on the cover of a pop song.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3dezFzsNss

No comments:

Post a Comment