Sunday, August 18, 2013

The Best Burgers in Seoul

 So, this week was pretty interesting actually. Thursday was Korea's independence day/end of WW2, so we had that day off of class. My teacher from last semester has been on me and my classmates for a while to get us to go to this one restaurant that serves burgers. Honestly, burgers here aren't that great. I don't know how you manage to mess up something as simple as grilling a piece of beef and putting it on a bun, but they seem do accomplish this on a daily basis. However, this burger place was quite different. I knew this immediately as I walked in and noticed they served Barq's Rootbeer. This place knows what's going on.

Definitely the best burgers I've had in Korea. They are even good by American standards. It's the rootbeer rule. Works every time. I also got to meet my teacher's little kid. She really wanted him to speak English to me. (Korean mothers are CRAZY when it comes to their children's education. I think it's magnified about 2 times that normal CRAZY to turn into CCRRAAZZYY when it comes to English education.) But much to her disappointment, the only 2 words he said were, "hello" and "teacher." I asked him in Korean how old he was, holding up 3 fingers. He didn't respond verbally, but reached over, grabbed my hand, and pulled up my remaining two. Satisfied with the result, he then noticed how big my hands were. This held him captivated the rest of the time. I got a picture of me and him as we were waiting to be seated.

*Korean age is calculated differently than in America. When a Korean is born, they are considered 1, and at the new year, they turn 2. So if you are born on December 31st, it is possible to be 2 years old at the age of 2 days.

Also, not sure if Dad knows that he has a plot here in Korea. We found this in the French area near the French embassy in Seoul.












I went hiking with my "cousin" here on Wednesday on a mountain right behind my school. It was a great day to do it too despite the heat. Normally, especially in the summer, you can't see the sky due to the cloud coverage/rain, but we caught it on a great day. I tried taking a panorama shot on my camera, and it turned out pretty well. You're looking at about 1/3 of Seoul. It's really hard to describe how incredibly sprawling this city is, and it gets significantly bigger every year.


1 comment: