Sunday, March 10, 2013

And Then There Was More

So, in case you all didn't notice, I actually wrote 2 different blogs this week because quite a bit happened. So, if you haven't read the previous blog yet, go back and read that one first. Unless of course you like jumping in with no context. After this long in Korea, I'm an expert at it.

They say that every rose has its thorns. (First let me point out that "they," although not always, tends to be a credible source. However, in some things like environmental issues, international affairs, and North Korea, "they" tend to not know what "they" are talking about.) I'm sure everyone has heard about the news regarding North Korea. All I can say is that sometimes a baby will cry to get what they want. I really wouldn't be too worried about it. I've seen some American reports, and let me assure you that the media is blowing it out of proportion. Whereas North Korea did actually make a threat against South Korea, it is a result of military exercises that are happening. This usually happens during these times. However, this time the North has threatened a bit more than usual. Either way, I'm in God's hands, so I am really not concerned at all. I have bigger things to worry about right now.

Anyway, back to roses and thorns. It turns out that the phrase can sometimes be reversed. I've revised it to the following: "Some thorns can maybe sometimes have a rose if you're lucky." Maybe someday I'll be clever enough to put those lyrics to song like my more fortunate compatriots in the band "Poison." It turned out that in addition to being MC for the speech contest (a very big nasty thorn), I also gained my first private tutoring student (the rose). I guess it was a kind of "I scratch your back you scratch mine" kind of thing going on. I had my first lesson yesterday, and it went great. I do have to say though, I almost feel like I'm swindling them out of their money though. I literally get paid to talk - something people have been paying me to not do my entire life.

I joined a language exchange group at my school. We had our first meeting last night. I realized that I really need to start studying more. I met with one Korean guy and one Chinese girl. We talked in Korean about 90% of the time. Well, OK. That's not the real truth. They spoke Korean, and I listened and understood most of it. Whenever I did open my mouth to try and talk, I must have sounded exactly like so many of my students before me. "This morning.... um.... I ... eat breakfast..... um.... not." What made it more embarrassing was that the Chinese girl had been studying for as long as I have, yet she was quite a bit better. To my defense, she is in the faster track where they not only cover more material, but speak no English whatsoever in class. In my class, if something is confusing enough (which constitutes just about everything) the teacher will explain in English. At the end of the day though, I had to at least trick myself into being proud of myself. Being able to understand as much as I did and communicate to some extent was reassuring. PEOPLE ACTUALLY UNDERSTAND ME! (The time it takes for me to communicate can go jump off a cliff.)

I find that the problem with communication comes in the immediateness of it all. If I have time to think, then I will usually not only say what I want to say, but say it with perfect grammar too. However, throw me in with the wolves, and all that comes out are screams. Like anything else, it will just take more practice. I need to get out of my room and out in public more often in situations where I'm forced to speak it.

 This is a sign close to my school that I pass almost every day and think, "Man, I should take a picture of that." Well, I finally did. I think it's pretty clever. I'm not exactly what it says, but here's my best guess. "People's tools throughout history have changed into blah blah blah I don't know." A picture is worth a thousand words, and that is never truer than in a foreign country.





I saw these guys today as I was walking through a famous street in Seoul. Must be the Korean version of Mickey Mouse. Somehow, these mannequins don't look quite as friendly though. Mickey Mouse was nice and friendly, but some of these Korean ones look like they might "learn" you do death. I'd especially stay away from that monk on the left. (In a nature documentary voice) Notice how he fools his prey, the Korean child, into come close. Now watch as he imparts all of the knowledge in the world into his victims ensnared brain. So, we see that another childhood has been snatched away. The circle of life is complete.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear you're feeling relatively 'safe' - and that you found a rose in amongst the thorns. You'll have to describe this 'rose' next time!

    ReplyDelete